Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6:05 p.m.; welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from June 6, 2011 meeting were presented for review and approval. David Mitchell made motion to approve minutes; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye.
- Chairman Padgett stated he received an email from Department of Natural Resources (DNR) stating that the Resaca Battlefield project is on schedule as planned. Bids are in the process of being published and an anticipated start date is October or November of this year; which is earlier than expected.
- Chairman Padgett stated one signature is still needed to move forward on the Fort Wayne site. Gordon County is prepared to start on this project in the fall.
- Chairman Padgett stated the Boy Scout troop has cleaned up the Amanda Frix cemetery. David Mitchell stated the cemetery looks great where the Boy Scout troop has cleaned up the cemetery. He stated there is another cemetery off of Union Grove Road that another Boy Scout troop will be cleaning up in the future. Chairman Padgett thanked David Mitchell for his time in coordinating the cleanup project. David Mitchell stated they are going to try and keep the Amanda Frix cemetery sprayed with weed killer to help keep the cemetery cleaned up.
- Chairman Padgett stated Sheriff Mitch Ralston contacted him via telephone in reference to a cemetery on Experiment Station Road, owned by the Calhoun Development Authority. He stated he contacted Ed Worley to obtain more information on the cemetery. Mr. Worley stated records on this cemetery may be in the University of Georgia documentation and he will try and obtain that information for the HPC.
- Chairman Padgett stated the City HPC had Calhoun downtown area put on the National Register.
- Chairman Padgett informed the HPC of the reappointment of himself and Jane Powers Weldon to another 3 year term each on the HPC.
- Chairman Padgett opened the floor for motions for yearly elections of Chairman and Vice Chairman of the HPC.
- David Mitchell made motion that Kenny Padgett remain as Chairman of HPC; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye.
- R. Stanley Chambers made motion that Betty Ann Surdykowski remain as Vice Chairman of HPC; seconded by David Mitchell. All voted aye.
- Chairman Padgett stated HPC Bi‐Laws need to be updated and present updated Bi‐Laws to Board of Commissioners for their approval.
- Chairman Padgett stated he contacted the Georgia Historical Society several times trying to obtain a clear direction if the historical markers in Gordon County have GPS readings. He stated the Civil War markers possibly have GPS readings but not all the markers have the GPS readings on them. He suggested to the HPC that in the fall to obtain pictures of all historical markers in Gordon County and talk with Brian McClellan, IT Director, for Gordon County, and get the historical markers, along with GPS readings, put on the County website, so they are downloadable by the general public. There was brief discussion on this project.
Chairman Padgett stated next meeting is tentatively set for August 1, 2011; unless meetings need to be bi‐monthly. Chairman Padgett stated he will clarify meeting schedule with Ursula Desrosier and send an update to HPC members.
Betty Ann Surdykowski made motion to adjourn; seconded by David Mitchell. All voted aye. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:40 p.m..